The large Schelle theorbo is not, in fact that large in terms of string length
(NB original bridge position is higher than at present and gives an original
string length of only 85/86cm).  Because it has a neck for 8 frets (rather than
the 9 or 10 some people go for these days) it does, however, still have a big
body as found on many large continuo theorboes and in iconography.

  The key issue is at what pitch the instrument would have played. Fortunately,
we don't need to go into possible Dresden pitches (Kammerton - high or low,
chor ton, low french ton, etc) since we can simply compare the maximum string
stress (ie breaking stress) of the contemporary Dm lute.  So if we take a
common 18thC Dm lute of string length 72cm with top course at f', this very
conveniently gives the same string stress as an 86cm instrument with top course
at d'.  In short, no need to put down an octave.  Possibly this would involved
slightly more frequent breakages than would be experienced on a normal tuned
large continuo theorbo in A (say, string length 94cm, top course at b) but only
by just over a semitone's worth (ie the same string stress as d' at 86 equates
to a pitch of c# at 96).

  MH

  Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi Benjamin. Good to see you contributing to this discussion. I was
interested in your comments in your article regarding Klaus Jackobsen's
thought that the very large Schelle theorbo might have had the first two
strings displaced because of its long string length. Is this the tuning you
use on your copy of the Schelle? It seems a reasonable supposition to me,
considering that in Dm tuning, there is no point in lowering a string by an
octave (as with the Italian model) because that pitch is already an open
string.

And do you use single or double strings?

Rob

www.rmguitar.info