From: Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 16:58:53 -0000
To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Theorbo

Hi Theo,

Some confusion here. Assuming de Visee used the small theorbo, it would be
strung in the old tuning but with both the first and second courses down an
octave AND the whole thing moved up in pitch so that the first course is a
D. This is what I meant when I said you could tune it in D, not D minor
tuning. I apologise for not being explicit enough. But it is not certain
that he used a small theorbo for his solo pieces, but probable.

However, should you want to play Piccinini and Kapsberger as well - they
would have been unlikely to play their music on a theorbo in D. But let's
get things in perspective, if you want to play both Italian and French
theorbo music to yourself, I wouldn't get too worked up about pitch. You say
you are mainly concerned with late repertoire, so de Visee in old tuning,
with the first two courses down an octave, based on D would be perfect, in
my opinion.

I have a theorbo arriving in January/February, but at 86 cms I will be
tuning it in A, but definitely playing de Visee alongside Piccinini and
Kapsberger.

Rob

www.rmguitar.info