Perhaps a slight danger of applying our modern preconceptions.  As far as I
am aware, the only historical written and iconographical evidence points to
octaves on the 6th - perhaps you know otherwise?

  MH

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Sterling and Roman,

Those passages in Hagen in which a melodic line is
passed from the 5th to the 6th course sometimes
consist of just a note or two on the 6th course. At a
slow tempo, one may be able to alter his or her
technique so that just the lower string of the course
sounds. When the notes happen rapidly, however, it is
extremely difficult to aim so as to not hit the upper
string. At a quick tempo, the very fact that pitches
in the "wrong octave" appear in the middle of an
otherwise flowing melodic line can be disconcerting.

In the sonatas, Straube, too, makes use of the 6th
course as a component of a top-line melody. Even more
bothersome are the places in which he uses the 6th
course as a middle voice in harmonies to support a
very low melody on the (unison) 4th or 5th courses.
Since one is also occupied playing a bass note, it is
phenomenally difficult to play just the single string
on the 6th course. When the middle voice suddenly
crosses the low melody, it is extremely obvious and
unpleasant!

This seems to support the theory that some folks
used unisons on the 6th. On the other hand, Straube,
Weiss and Hagen sometime use a bass course as a middle
voice. This too would result in the middle voice
jumping to the top. No arguement here that those are
octave strung.

Chris