Theo
        I have only looked at the photos, obviously Mimmo Peruffo studied
the lutes at close quarters, and even I think played the Frei, as he
said it sounded beautiful. Thus, if he took the photo afterwards,
perhaps you can just make-out Mimmo's finger position ...

The fact these survived and have not been restored, could mean that
they only had one owner, and less wear, but not that they had not
been played at all. The wear marks seem fairly clear to me. The fact
that there is one clear mark on two of them, and a continuous mark on
the other, rather than two or three separate marks, could indicate
they had only had one player. I have no idea whether there are any
indications about the owners to be found at the museum.

These lutes would have been quite costly at the time when they were
baroqued. These were not Malers, but we do have the discussion by
Mace about two baroqued Malers.

Mace as you know says " There are diversities of Mens Names in Lutes;
but the Chief Name we most esteem, is Laux Maller, ever written with
Text Letters: Two of which Lutes I have seen (pittifull Old,
Batter'd, Crack'd Things) valued at 100 l. a piece. Mr Gootiere, the
Famous Lutenist in His Time, shew'd me One of Them, which the King
paid 100 l. for. (...). I have often seen Lutes of three or four pounds
price, far more Illustrious and Taking, to a common Eye".

We see that the king, and one of Jacques Gaultier's students bought
these lutes, not Gaultier, himself, who might have been showing the
same scorn about their pitiful state as Mace is doing here.
Nevertheless, the king and the wealthy student would have been taught
by Gaultier, and others like him. If they could afford the most
expensive lutes, they could afford the best teachers. One would
suppose the traces, they left would be very similar to those that
would have been made by Mr Gooti=E8re. That of course does not mean
they were good players, I would agree with you there.

Jacques did not just leave traces on lute bellies, by all accounts
(See Janet Snowman,  in an article, dated  December 2006, entitled
APOL LO Academy Pictures On-Line, Robert Spencer)
http://tinyurl.com/239h99

http://www.ram.ac.uk/NR/rdonlyres/FDD0941B-F4BC-41B9-B6C0-
BEDF2E6E3B4C/0/spencersheetfinal.pdf

where it is not question of << the goodness of his hands >> or his
delicate touch, but the quality of his dentition : << in 1643 a London
surgeon's casebook describe `Mr Ashberrie (a lutanist) at night was
bitten by Gottier, the French Luteniste in Covent Garden, had a piece
of his cheek bitten out, an inch or more down to the lower jaw. I
stiched it and dressed it'.
A little over literal in the practice of the mordent ?

Regards

Anthony

if what I see is a pattern of wear,