Or, might I add an even simpler suggestion: because it sounds interesting...
The doubling of parts exists in all kind and and periods of musicmaking,
often just for the coloration it provides....

From: howard posner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 08:07:36 -0800
To: baroque Lutelist <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Doubling The Parts?

> What I mean is:  when performing that in an ensemble, what's the
> point of the lute doubling one of the other parts?

Projection in a large performance space may have been an issue; it
could have been a way of creating a super-lute. spaces.

Haydn's piano trios often have a similar texture, with the violin and
cello playing what the piano plays, or vice versa.  It's still
fashionable to speculate that Haydn was compensating for the
instrument's weak treble, or bass, or whatever.

A simpler explanation is that players or listeners liked that sort of
thing.  It certainly makes it easier to know when you're playing the
right notes, which might be a consideration in a casual evening's
music-making when everyone has eaten and imbibed well.