I am very grateful to all who have responded with so much helpful advice.

Gentle exercise of some sort is certainly necessary for my index fingers, which
seem to have lost a lot of strength and are really slow and clumsy; Anthony
Hind's advice here sounds extremely useful.
Rob's warning, however, about over-strengening is taken; his tip concerning
minimal pressure is very helpful -  I've just got back home and had an initial
go at it on my viola da mano... He's right: I've been working too hard! Ed
Martin's endorsement demands respect too: another admirable musician.
I am also intending to look closely at the thoughtful advice from Ed Durbrow -
I also intend, in July (birthday!), to get a recording device (I've been very
interested in comments on one of these groups' pages about the relative merits
of different inexpensive recording devices, the Zoom H2, for example).
Just as I am coming to an end here, I see I've received advice from David
Rastall which promises to take me into other fruitful areas.

I have made a point of mentioning by name everyone whose advice I have received
because I suspect I haven't received all correspondence on this subject.
Apologies to those not mentioned, therefore - I simply didn't receive your
message, so please don't think me rude.

When I read through my initial request for help in this matter before sending
it off, I realised that it was rather ambiguous: my intended request was for
advice on musical exercises (simple little preludes and suchlike). I decided
not to change the wording, however, as it occurred to me that there might well
be other advice of use that I might receive - and I have certainly not been
disappointed. My sincere thanks to you all - and now... I must return to my
viola da mano and start learning to tread lightly!

Alan

It has removed 1682 spam emails to date.