Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 12:54 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Kirnberger on lutes and temperament

No, not at all.
Boehmische Doerfer are Bohemian villages

On English you could translate that as: That is Greek to me ;-).

It's not easy to understand that in German, but Kirnberger speaks of the fact that most musicians aren't able to calculate the temperaments.
I try to translate (I hope it is understandable ...)

As the logarithms are Greek to most musicians, and by the way aren't of much use in music, so it is in my opinion even more clear to explain it through a known way of calculation.

Markus

Roman Turovsky schrieb:
K. actually begins by claiming that musicians are as intelligent as Czech peasants [sic!] because they tune in that equal abomination.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roman Turovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Lutelist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Markus Lutz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Stephen Arndt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:31 AM

I.e. multiple positions per note preclude non-ET.
RT

For "nur in diesem Fall nothwendig zu verstehen" I would suggest "and is to be understood as necessary only in the case of (tying the frets etc.)."

My two cents.

Stephen Arndt

> Die gleichschwebende Temperatur ist
> schlechterdings ganz verwerflich, nur in diesem Fall nothwendig zu
> verstehen, um die Bande einer Theorbe, Laute oder solcher ahnlicher
> Instrumente als Psalter, Zitter u. s. w. recht zu legen, weil eine
> Temperatur ausser dieser Art jeder Seite ihr Recht nicht thut.""

Equal temperament is completely condemnable and only has to be understood necessarily, to lay the ties of a theorbo, lute or such similar instruments as psalterium, cither etc. correctly, because any other temperature won't be able to do right to every string.

Best
Markus

Roman Turovsky schrieb:
"Da die Logarithmen fur die meisten Musikanten Bohmische Dorfer sind, ohnerachtet sie bei der Musik wenig oder gar keinen Nutzen schaffen, so ist es nach meinem Sinn, auch deutlicher, sich durch bekannte Rechnungsart auszudrucken. Die gleichschwebende Temperatur ist schlechterdings ganz verwerflich, nur in diesem Fall nothwendig zu verstehen, um die Bande einer Theorbe, Laute oder solcher ahnlicher Instrumente als Psalter, Zitter u. s. w. recht zu legen, weil eine Temperatur ausser dieser Art jeder Seite ihr Recht nicht thut.""

Mathias, can we translate this politely?[;-)))
RT

Get your own customized domain and email for $8.95/1-yr
Offer ends soon. Only at http://www.doteasypromo.com/e