Dear Gernot and Duncan,

Thank you both SO MUCH for your help; I was able to get the gist of it, but
I really wanted to know more precisely what was being said - or rather, more
precisely what it was that I was misunderstanding!!!!  Unfortunately, in the
LS journal translation by Stanley Buetens, this particular section is left
out since it is somehow considered to be "outside the scope of this article"
(p. 15).  Aaaargh.

You're brilliant!!! (;

Big THANKS again!

Best wishes,