On Jul 6, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Michael Gillespie wrote:

> Does anyone have any comments on improvising trills and other accents?

You mean...(gasp)...actually putting in ornaments just anywhere, even
though they're not officially indicated in the tab?  I don't know:
pretty risky business!  Purists will raise their voices to the moon:
crying for us to stick to the script, lest order and method give way
to chaos and anarchy.  Next thing you know, we'll all be playing
single-strung archlutes!!  ;-)

Seriously:  IMO certainly we should improvise trills, ornaments, and
in fact generally dress up the music, as we see fit.  Why not?
Baroque composers would have encouraged us to do that.

> Also, (just a thought) did the
> baroque masters compose in tablature? (that seems absurd).

Why absurd?  It's easy to write music in tablature.  Besides, I can't
imagine that Weiss wrote his pieces out in notation and then propped
them up in front of him and transcribed them note for note into tab.
That seems absurd to me.  And even if he did, wouldn't we then have
two versions of each one of his pieces?

> Are there any
> sources for learning notation on the lute.

I don't know of any, except for the various instructions on learning
basso continuo, which would teach you to read lines in bass clef.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]