FOURTH INTERNATIONAL J. S. BACH DIALOGUE MEETING

                         New Directions in Bach Studies

                     Denis Arnold Hall, Faculty of Music

                            University of Oxford

   Saturday 3 January 2009

13.30:  Registration and Welcome at Merton College Chapel

14.00: Musical Moment: Coffee Cantata, BWV 211

   From 14.30: Further registrations possible at the Faculty of Music.

14.45: Afternoon Sessions I and II, Faculty of Music: Bach the Dramatist

   Speakers: Christoph Wolff, Irmgard Scheitler, Michael Maul, Ruth
   HaCohen. Chair: Reinhard Strohm.

18.30: Evening Session

   John Eliot Gardiner will speak on Bach and the spirit of music drama.

Conference Dinner, Merton College

   Sunday 4 January 2009

9.30: Morning session I, Faculty of Music: Young Scholars' Forum

   PhD students and young scholars are invited to talk about their work.

10.30: Lecture Demonstration

   Reinhold Kubik and Margit Legler (Vienna) on rhetoric, gesture and
   scenic imagination in Bach's music, to complement the theme of 'Bach
   the Dramatist'.

11.30: Morning Session II: Music and Text (1) Rediscovery of Sources and their
Implication

   Tatiana Shabalina will speak on recently rediscovered sources in St.
   Petersburg.

   12.20: Lunch break

13.30: Afternoon Session I: Music and Text (2) Context and Interpretation

   Roundtable session chaired by John Butt. Speakers:

   Peter Smaill, Burkhard Schwalbach, Szymon Paczkowski.

15.10: Afternoon Session II: Burning Issues Forum

   Speakers will include Ruth Tatlow and Margaret Steinitz.

End of Dialogue Meeting, 16.00

   Those who wish to stay and participate in the meetings of the BNUK
   Study Groups are welcome to do so:

   .   Music and Text (chair: John Butt)

   .   Nineteenth Century Bach Reception History (chair: Yo Tomita)

   Enquiries: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or mobile 2-4 January 2009: 07857
   076121).