Sorry like David, replied to the wrong list

Dear Chris and All,
According to Miguel Serdoura (p111-123) in his Baroque lute method, there is one explicit mention of damping in Mace (1676). He indicates the damping of a note with two small dots before it., and calls this effect "Tut". "The tut is a Grace always with the Right hand ... strike your Letter, (which you intend shall be so Grac'd) with one of your Fingers, and immediately clap on your next striking Finger, in doing you suddenly take away the sound of the Letter ..." Mace Miguel goes on to say "In the works of Adam Falckenhagen and Johann- Georg Weichenberger, we find the sign (//) which, in our opinion, indicates the same effect." Miguel considers that French musicians also used this technique, but preferred not to give indications, keeping as much as possible to themselves.

Miguel can't believe that harpsichordists used damping and sustain, but that lutists completely ignored this practice.

As to whether the use of wirewound and pure gut makes a difference, MS cites tests showing that where wirewounds have a sustain of about 6 to 8 seconds, pure gut has about 2 to 3 seconds (loaded somewhere between, about 4 to 6, I would guess). Even so, Miguel argues "that this is still too long in passages in which the harmony may change in a fraction of a second".

I have heard pieces damped that seem to become too stacatto (loss of liason), and damping should not necessarilly be used just to avoid a clash (the clash might be desirable). However, a judicious use of damping could be part of the lute players panoply. Those who want to verify Miguel's theory could listen to his latest recording, and see whether he has used damping to good effect.
Bets wishes to all
Anthony