Thanks Markus,
   I have just re-read Robert Lundberg's article "Weiss's Lutes:  The
   Origin of the 13-Course German Baroque Lutes"  (LSA Journal, Volume
   XXXIII, 2000) and I had rather confused dates - thanks for the
   correction.  According to him, Weiss developed the rider lute - the
   "original" 13 course model - in 1718-9 in collaboration with Edlinger
   (according to Lundberg, the two likely met in 1718), and the first
   pieces he wrote for this new 13 course instrument was in January 1719.
   (p. 36)  These pieces would then be the first of the 13-course
   repertoire.
   Lundberg also states that the earliest examples of swan necks are two
   Hoffman conversions done in 1732, also likely done at the behest of
   Weiss.  (p. 47.  Incidentally, Lundberg claims the swan neck was
   intended mainly for continuo:  contentious?)
   Have there been any developments or refinements to Lundberg's thesis in
   recent years?
   All best,
   Benjamin