Theo,

    Yes, history is not linear.  Baron, coming after
Weiss, is pictured with a 12-course lute on one head
stock - no rider or swan neck.  Most of his music is
for 12 course lute as well and those pieces that
require the 13th appear to have had it written in
later.

    It is also interesting to note that the pieces in
Dresden give the impression that they were conceived
with 13 courses in mind, yet many of these same pieces
show up in the 11-course London ms.  The Dresden
versions of these London pieces often have other
compositional differences aside from the addition of
lower courses.

   Harrach, too is very interesting.  Most of the
pieces are for 11 courses in which the bass notes in
the upper octave have been dropped down with "5's" and
"6's" obviously added in later.  Yet, even in pieces
where this has been done, one occasionally finds
passages that would be difficult or impossible to
perform on an 11 course lute.  Maybe this manuscript
was copied by someone who had just gotten themselves a
13-course and wasn't quite fluent with it yet.

Chris