I have a Widhalm that does have fan-barring and a soundboard carefully
thicknessed as the original (assuming that the original has not been altered
over the years). It also has a bass extension based on the 1764 Martin Brunner
which is very similar to the Jauch extension. This pegbox, as you all know,
helps with the transition of sound for the basses. This lute is much louder
than my Burkholzer, but its also a bit bigger.  I am still experimenting with
strings, and was thinking of trying gut soon.

--Sterling

Had this been the case, I presume that Grant Tomlinson would have
built Benjamin's Widham fan-barred from the outset.
Also we have examples of Railich and Rauwolf lutes today, that are
not swannecked yet apparently work better with fan-barring.
I believe, but I may be mistaken that Stephen Gottlieb builds even 8c
Railich with fan-barring. This may be historically incorrect
(according to your position), but if it is the case, I would think
this means that there are at least two schools of thought on the
question.
It is true that I am not a lute-maker, just an avid reader on the
topic, and as a phoentician used to formulate hypotheses so as to
allow them to be tested. It is quite possible that this is not a good
way to reason in terms of lute making, in which case of course, I
withdraw my remarks.

Best wishes
Anthony