Nobody seems to have responded to this.

On May 8, 2009, at 11:33 AM, David Rastall wrote:

> Isn't it possible that the dancers might have paused in the dance at
> the end of the minuet, and started the trio at a different tempo as
> set by the musicians?

Possible, but I'm not aware of any evidence for it, and the notion
strikes me as more a musician's whim than a dancer's.  In social
dance, it seems disruptive -- the dancers want to dance, and chat,
and look each other over, and not have to concentrate on taking some
musician's changed tempo.  You don't want to be watching for a
downbeat when you could be looking down a lady's blouse (or, if
you're the lady, asking the lady next to you about the income of the
gentleman who's been looking down your blouse).