Dear baroque lutenists,

a little while ago I wrote about three pieces I played in more or less in
the "croquis" way, not "prima vista", but perhaps "terza" or "quarta
vista". Now I made a couple of pieces to 11-course lute that most certainly
were not "croquis"!

Why is it always so that when the name "Gaultier" is connected to the
piece, the piece is demanding? :-)

And even when the pieces look like easy, they really take time to become
even playable... And the easiest looking places can be the hardest. And
also some hard looking places turn out to be most cleverly written to the
fingers, who just happen to be there, when needed...

Those two pieces are E. Gaultier or Mesangeau: Sarabande, and E. Gaultier:
Chaconne. Both from Saizenay mss. Some comments and links to my far too
unpolished versions:

1) E. Gaultier or Mesangeau: Sarabande (ms. Saizenay II p.94):
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07cb4AP83XM
   http://www.vimeo.com/9467350

The piece looks like an easy one. It is not! I guess I spent several hours
with the "easy" second bar embellishment, and it still isn't natural at
all; the decorations that are part of the melody are really, really
difficult! In this Sarabande I tried to achieve more of a dramatic effect
than an elegant feeling - I think too often French baroque is taken too
elegantly. Well, I guess my version is perhaps too rough - you know we
Finns are primitive... ;-)

2) Ennemond ("Vieux") Gaultier: Chaconne (ms. Saizenay p.20):
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItlcqokJUMc
   http://www.vimeo.com/9467697

This piece looks like a tricky one. But it isn't that tricky.  Here the
fingers just seem to happen to be in the right place at the right moment.
That doesn't mean _my_ fingers always were there... ;-)

Anyhow, it is interesting to find out that the difficulties and
easy/natural places of pieces are in unexpected places...

One other thing: I've tried the right hand position of Mouton (in the
famous picture). It seems to work and also produce good sound. Especially
in the tricky Sarabande I managed (in places...) to use that - every now
and then much better than in the "tube" version! But the relative
"easyness" of the Chaconne just took my right hand every now and then to
the position I am so jused to... :-/

All the best,

Arto