Hi

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:16:55 -0500, theoj89...@aol.com wrote:
> Robert Johnson seems to have lived mostly in the Mississippi Delta area -
> one of the greatest exponents of 'delta blues'. The french settled in
> Louisiana - the next state over, but didn't seem to have populated this
> area of mississippi at that time. African folk music, brought over by the
> slaves, is widely thought to be a major influence in delta blues, but
I've
> never heard that french music influenced them. The french influence is,
> however, still very much alive in cajun folk traditions of Louisiana.

Well, to me the huge time span and the huge area of French influence was
news to me, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Louisiana#French_exploration_and_colonization_.281528.E2.80.931756.29
which says: "The following present day states were part of the then vast
tract of Louisiana: Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri,
Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan[citation needed],
Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, and South Dakota."

> Robert Johnson's few blues recordings are still revered as some of the
> absolute best blues recordings ever made, even though he only lived to 27
> years old. It is rumored that he sold his soul to the devil in return for
> his music skill, and that a jealous husband poisoned and killed him. How
> does Mouton compare to that?

Well, Mouton lived a very long life. But I guess he also must have had sold
his soul to the same character, considering the quality of his art. And I
sincerely agree the statement that "Robert Johnson's few blues recordings
are still some of the absolute best blues recordings ever made". And I
still think "inegalitee" shared by blues, jazz, French baroque, Italian
baroque, etc., is one necessary element in the secret of playing well...
;-)

Isn't it strange/interesting/cute/important that African and European music
had to go to America to meet and mix!?

All the best,

Arto