Dear b-lutenists,

about using the thumb: there are many places in the (French) baroque lute
music, where the thumb is used on the 2nd string - I have not met any sign
of its use on 1st, though. Anyhow the p-i-p-i pattern on one course/string
is understandable much more rare in b-lute repertoire than in the 16th
century stuff. I happened to meet an example of p-i-p on the 5th course in
ms. Barbe, "L'Immortelle du V. Gautier", p. 2, system 5, first bar:

_____________________________

I find this quite interesting! Have you found more "pipipi" on 5th (or even
6th) in baroque lute tabulatures?
Also higher (and lower?) courses count in this contest! ;-)

Best,

Arto