Having spent much happy time on my 11 course lute playing the music of Reusner,
Conradi, Kellner, Weichenberger and St. Luc, it dawns on me that we don't
really have a good descriptor for the period. It is after the French precieux
and Brise styles (but has some elements), brings in more of a cantabile Italian
relationship between melody and bass line but doesn't go all the way to the
Gallant emphasis on melody (I am sure I have made many a musicologist cringe
with my oversimplifications here). Many recordings that include pieces from the
period are titled "German Baroque Lute Music", or something similar, but that
of course doesn't give a fair geographic representation to the Czech, Silesian,
Swedish and Belgian composers. "Transitional" would be a good descriptive term
but alas has already been coapted by those funny tuning systems between
Renaissance and d minor.

Any ideas?

Danny