----- Original Message -----

   From: "wikla" <[1]wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>
   To: "A. J. Ness" <[2]arthurjn...@verizon.net>
   Cc: "Charles Browne" <[3]char...@brownecowie.fsnet.co.uk>; "Baroque
   Lute List" <[4]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 4:39 PM
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Ms. Lei. II 6 14 ?

   > Thanks Arthur!
   >
   > Yep, as I wrote I do have the "Lei" facsimile by Tree of the
   "II.6.24".
   > What I lack is the facsimile of the "II.6.14". And yep, the CNRS
   Gallot
   > edition really names all the mss.
   >
   > Even I did find those names/codes invented by the "elaborate critical
   > apparatus that calls for much use of abbreviations"... Not too much
   help of
   > that, though... ;)

   <<AJN>>Well it saves space, and she found so many sources it surely
   reduced the cost to you.

   > At least for the moment the CNRS edition of that "14" will be enough
   to me.
   > At least as a reference and comparison to the other versions.
   >
   > On the other hand - in many cases the (as such great) CNRS editions
   are
   > lacking some important  markings here and there compared to the
   facsimilies
   > I have.

   <<AJN>> I didn't know that.

   > For example in Barbe, Saizenay's, etc.: here and there there are
   > touches - dots, dashes, lines, etc. which are easy to a free hand,
   writer
   > but hard to a modern publisher/printer....

   <<AJN>> Well, that's still not right and an attempt should be made to
   reproduce them.

   > But today Peter Steur's work and pages are very important to actual
   players
   > and researchers of baroque lute - there are some mistakes in the keys
   etc
   > here and there - as there are errors in any study - but I would like
   > suggest us to give a heavy support to Peter's valuable work!
   >
   > I really do not know, what is Peter's relation to the "official
   > musicology", but I strongly suggest most close co-operation!

   <<AJN>> I don't know Peter Steur or his background.  But I surely
   admire the work he has posted to the internet.  It seems to be very
   valuable and well done.

   > Best,
   <<AJN>> Likewise, Arto.  Regards Art.

   <[5]arthurjn...@verizon.net>
   > wrote:
   >> Hello Arto,
   >>
   >> Critical editions of lute music, such as those published by CNRS in
   the
   >> Corpus des Luthistes Franc,ais, often have an elaborate critical
   > apparatus
   >> that calls for much use of abbreviations, which are always resolved
   >> somewhere in the book.  The abbreviations about which you inquire
   start
   > on
   >> page
   >> XXV of the Gallot edition.  The ones you mention refer to a pair of
   >> manuscripts in the
   >> Musik Bibliothek der Stadt Leipzig  ("Lei."): Ms. II. 6. 14 and Ms.
   II.
   > 6.
   >> 24.
   >>
   >> By the way, did you notice that the Lachrimae motive is sounded in
   tghe
   >> lower line at the
   >> beginnig of Gallot's "L'Amat malheureux"  (No. 98)?  Weiss also made
   an
   >> arrangement of that piece.
   >>
   >> Several volumes of RISM are described briefly on the "Finding Tools"
   list
   >> on
   >> Wayne's Lute Page:
   >>
   >> [6]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute/Sources.html
   >>
   >> RISM BVII mentioned in SMT refers to Wolfgang Boetticher's inventory
   of
   >> manuscript lute and guitar tablatures, listed there also with some
   >> warnings.
   >> His entries are often faulty and sometimes contain very little
   useful
   >> information (e.g., extensive lists of pages and folios that are
   blank in
   >> the
   >> manuscript; few composers given, unless mentioned on the titlepage).
   >> Sometimes manuscrpts are moved, and Boetticher doesn't realize what
   >> happened and the descriptions are different for the same manuscript.
   >>
   >> Here is a good overall summary of the types of music and music
   literature
   >> inventoried in RISM.  It's amazing what it covers!  For example,
   >> manuscripts
   >> of Persian music, or Ancient Greek Music Theory Writings (by . . .
   Tom
   >> Mathiesen--'member him?<g>).  As well as the usual stuff, of course.
   >>
   >> [7]http://hcl.harvard.edu/libraries/loebmusic/isham/rism.cfm#rism
   >>
   >> Arthur.

   "Barbe",

   Is