     From: Rob MacKillop <robmackil...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: L'Infidele
     To: "sterling price" <spiffys84...@yahoo.com>
     Cc: "BAROQUE-LUTE" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, 22:49

   That's getting on the wide side, Sterling. Would you have a problem
   with Bar 4 of L'Infidele? I agree that close spacing is difficult. I
   don't know how people can play with a string band of less than 148, but
   they do. People find a way.
   Rob
   www.robmackillop.net
   On 4 Oct 2011, at 22:34, sterling price <[1]spiffys84...@yahoo.com>
   wrote:
   >   The bridge spacing I use is 157mm and is based on a large Edlinger.
   >   Whenever I play a lute with a spacing much smaller than this, I
   find it
   >   very difficult to play.
   >
   >   --Sterling
   Sarabandes,
   >   is sublimely beautiful. The minuet lies under the fingers. So, I
   was
   >   beginning to think this is a suite I can get my teeth into. Then I
   hit
   >   the Musette...
   >   Bar 4 demands the thumb on the 13th course, the index on the 5th
   and
   >   (presumably) the ring finger on the 1st. The string band on my lute
   is
   >   153mm, and I have large hands. I should be able to do this, but is
   is
   >   very hard. I can manage it, but, clearly, at a stretch. 153mm does
   not
   >   seem excessive, and is pretty much bang in the middle of all
   surviving
   >   13c bridges, in other words an average size. Will practise of this
   >   passage make my stretch longer?
   >   Anyone else have problems with this passage? I seem (in
   desperation,
   >   maybe) to recall someone arguing that originally the low A was up
   an
   >   octave at the 6th course, and the 13th course was written in later.
   Any