To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2011 9:31 AM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] RH technique?

  Having come from renaissance lute with all its thumb/forefinger action
  on the treble strings, I'm finding that having my thumb on, say, the
  third course is making life difficult when it has to leap down to the
  tenth course, for example.
  I would think the answer is to do more with i,m and a on the high
  strings and keep the thumb primarily for the basses.  My question is,
  "Is there a course beyond which the thumb should not venture in normal
  circumstances?"  For example should the thumb only be used on the 5th,
  6th and diapason courses?
  I would be interested to hear your views and experiences.
  Thanks,
  Bill