Wash your mouth out, Dale!

   Have a listen to a banjo played with gut strings:

   [1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2yPvmmpzU

   Rob
   On 21 October 2011 20:40, Dale Young <[2]dyoung5...@wowway.com> wrote:

     and we do have those moveable frettes to assist in mediating the
     most egregious of out-tunation issues...until we can replace the
     offending string.
     I can no longer tolerate the banjo-esque timbre of nylon and
     over-spun bass strings, except in the hands of a very few
     exceptional players. Gut and only gut.
      Dale
     ----- Original Message ----- From: "wikla" <[3]wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>
     To: "Roman Turovsky" <[4]r.turov...@verizon.net>
     Cc: "BAROQUE-LUTE" <[5]baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 3:19 PM
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Bocquet vids

     Dear Roman,
     I have occasionally(?) "identified" "dodgy intonation" also by nylon
     (etc.)
     strings, not only by gut strung instruments. And also pure and
     enjoyable
     intonation by both! Intonation certainly is not a question about the
     string
     material, but - well - it is a question about the "intonator", the
     player!
     And you certainly should be able to fine tune your intonation better
     than
     equal temperament. Strong fingers and not too much string tension...
     ;-)
     Arto