     From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: A=392
     To: "Baroque Lute List (E-mail)" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 30 November, 2011, 14:07

   On 30 November 2011 14:46, Martyn Hodgson
   <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
   > I think the same general query applies to modern players too - what
   evidence have you for your assertion that all experienced players can
   transpose tablature on sight?
   Gosh, there goes my English again! Did I really write 'all experienced
   players'? Shouldn't think so. Make that 'experienced players', or read
   my mail again and see that's what I did write. The question should be,
   of course, what makes a player experienced (or good, or a pro, or a
   survivor in the rough world of lute song accompaniment)? Many lute
   song accompanists, dare I say experienced  lute song accompanists,
   will agree transposing songs is a useful skill. Or carrying around a
   bag of transpositions, like Bob Spencer did. Perhaps that's what marks
   the experienced player: to be prepared for possible transpositions.
   Anyway, you mean you want to have a list of all the times I had to
   transpose on sight over the last 20- dd years? Or a list of the songs,
   or a list of the most common transpositions, most common reasons, or a
   rating of the relative success of my transpositions (could be
   embarrassing, let's leave that out).
   David - had a spontaneous transposition within a recit of Messiah last
   weekend, but the cello player and alto didn't transpose along. How
   petty of them, not going along with my half tone lower ...