On Nov 30, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Stuart Walsh wrote:

>  I'd be far less sure about sight reading lute song accompaniments, let alone
> transposing at sight! The parts are just too difficult to sight read, let
> alone, transpose. Can you do this, Howard?

Why are you asking me, particularly?  My meager skills hardly define what's
possible or feasible.

If transposing tablature is a useful thing to do (for example, it gets you more
gigs), it can be learned like any other reading skill.

My personal answer to your question: I don't know -- I've never tried it.  On
those occasions when I've accompanied singers in lute songs, it's typically the
singer who brings the song, and picks one that works in the original key.

But my not transposing tablature is no reason to doubt that David van Ooijen
knows how to do it.  After all, I have no idea how to pronounce his last name,
but that doesn't mean he can't pronounce it.