It's not difficult to play from lute tablature at a keyboard. I have played
at sight from Italian tablature at a keyboard without ever having practicing the technique. I've never tried
German, but it would be even easier because there is one distinct note for
each tablature cipher. I'm limited by my modest keyboard skills. I've witnessed Daniel
Heartz, a piano virtuoso, when he ripped through a lute tablature at tempo.

I wonder historically how often Renaissance keyboard players turned to lute
tablature.  There was relatively so little printed keyboard
music from those days.  Printing keyboard notation must have been very
difficult, and that may account _*in part*_ for its scarcity.  And playing
from lute tablature would be an easy way for keyboard players to augment
their repertory.  And lute music sounds very nice when played on a portative
organ, for example.

Roman added that historic harpist played from lute tablature.  I know of one
piece of evidence for this.  Ms Rès 429 at the Bibliothèque nationale in
Paris has on its cover the ex-libris of Orazio Michi dell'Arpa (1594-1649),
perhaps the most famous harpist of his day. This is the fascicle manuscript
with music by Melchior Newsidler (autograph)
and Francesco (copied from the Naples print of 1536).  More information:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/id30.html (scroll down).

Arthur.
----- Original Message ----- From: "William Samson" <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>