Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Edgar Aichinger
Gesendet: Montag, 13. Februar 2012 11:56
An: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Betreff: [BAROQUE-LUTE] BL Transcription of Tropico by M. Ponce

Hello,

after years of silently reading this list I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Edgar Aichinger, I'm an amateur self-tought lute player living
near
Vienna, Austria. I started with guitar at age of 14, back in the seventies
and
always felt attracted by renaissance and baroque music, so when i got the
chance to buy a second hand 10 course lute made by (Hans Hermann Herb,
Erlangen 1979) around 1994, I just had to do it. After some years playing
ren.
tuning i changed strings and stayed with d-minor from then on.

The lute is a bit of a special case, according to viennese luthier Nupi
Jenner
it is built like a baroque lute (curved fretboard) but lacks some typical
attributes. E.g. the pegbox doesn't have the typical decorated jigsawed
coverplate at the back side, the neck-body joint is at fret 9, not 10. and
it
has only 10 courses! ;) Nupi had to open it to repair a crack in the belly,
and while doing so he found out that the neck joint is done in a very
unusual
way. Well after all it has been built before the big early music boom...

Well anyway, I'd like to express my gratitude for many hours of interesting
reading, links to facsimiles and other sources for music being posted here.

As an attempt to give something back to the community (being an open-source
guy that's natural thinking for me) I want to let you know that I posted my
BL
transcription of a guitar solo piece by Manuel Ponce, Tropico, to my scribd
page. I spent a couple of months in Mexico City back in Winter 1996/7,
living
in a musician's household, and brought with me copies of autographs by
Ponce,
from a book I found there. I hope some of you find this interesting and I'm
all ears if anyone has suggestions on improving the transcription. I can
also
post the cripps lutetab source, and maybe also a - mediocre - recording by
myself if someone is interested.

Here's the link: http://www.scribd.com/edogawa23/d/81356266-tropico-a4

Eventually some more music will follow, I'll keep you informed.

Greetings, Edgar