Actually the blu-tac while unsightly, in a blind comparison sounds an
   awful lot like loaded gut!

   You've got to get just the right amount on, as to not deaden the string
   too much. But while I was visiting a luthier recently, we compared
   blu-tack on Kurschner wound on my lute, to his with loaded gut and the
   sound, if you closed your eyes, was amazingly similar!

   I play with blu-tac all time. It gives a great "thud" like gut.