   From: Anthony Hind <agno3ph...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   To: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>; Martin Shepherd
   <mar...@luteshop.co.uk>; "baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu"
   <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Friday, 3 February 2017, 20:45
   Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re : [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re : [BAROQUE-LUTE] Baroque
   Lute Stringing
     Apologies for allowing the incomplete message to shoot forth
     Dear Martyn
           I tend to see methods for reducing the inharmonicity of a
   string
     as simply ways of lowering its impedance to bending while maintaining
     its weight: either a) by increasing its elasticity or b) by improving
     its flexibility (bendability) through keeping it as thin as possible
     for the same weight (particularly near the fixed points from which it
     moves). I see loading and thinning at the bridge as similar processes
     of type b; while i agree there are many other factors which also
   effect
     the way a string resonates.
     Of course these are merely layman's  weak metaphors for which I also
     apologise.
     Best wishes
     Anthony
     [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
     Le vendredi, fà ©vrier 3, 2017, 4:52 PM, Martyn Hodgson
     <[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> a à ©crit :
     Dear Anthony,
     I may well have misunderstood the point you make
     'and the extra diameter beyond the bridge behaving similarly  to
     - surely the physical characteristics of a string largely determine
   the
     sound - else why bother?
     Martin's practice of thinning at the bridge is probably  to allow the
     string there to vibrate around a clean take off point thus minimising
     frequency absorption (ie damping) and, as Martin said, to avoid  the
     thickish string buzzing against the bridge.  This is not, of course,
     say that the rest of the physical characteristics of the string are
     immaterial! The characteristics of the string and hence sound are
     determined by the totality of the vibrating length and thus the
     material, its dimensions its elasticity, stiffness, etc. Otherwise
   one
     might as well make a string out of anything and it would sound the
   same
     if the bridge thinning were identical ......
     regards
     Martyn