   From: "mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
   To: hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk; Daniel Shoskes <dshos...@mac.com>;
   VihuelaList <vihu...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Saturday, 6 January 2018, 16:41
   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Further to Re: Moravsky Manuscript AND five
   course guitar stringing
   Unfortunately the folio numbers are not very clear in the pdf. Some of
   the pages seem to have been cropped on the right- hand side when the
   film was made and the recto and verso of each folio is on a single page
   of the pdf.
   -
   [MH: Yes - it's a shame about this]
   -
    I will try to refer to the correct ones.
   To recap
   Folio 48r is headed "Fundamenta Gytarra".
   -
   [MH: Indeed, and not as just 'Cytarra' (or Chytarra) as correctly
   pointed
    out in my last]
   -
    The tablature checks indicate that this instrument has five stopped
   courses and one
   additional unstopped bass course. Folio 48v is headed "Accordo Gytarra
   et Mandora".
   -
   [MH: This is an incorrect assumption. The overwhelming bulk of pieces
   of
    pieces in this MS are clearly written for just a five course
   instrument  (see
   my telling note earlier about the transcription for a five course
   instrument
    - I naturally suggest for gytarra for this version of the same (Losy?)
   piece presented earlier for a six course instrument, the mandora).
   -
   You are right â I agree that these are two different instruments. The
   Gytarra has five
   stopped courses and one unstopped bass as shown in the first section of
   the tablature.
   -
   {MH: No, you've got this mixed up, as explained earlier and again in
   this
    mail. The gytarra has five courses, the madora six. The theorboed
   instrument is probably a theorboed guitar a la Strad or similar......
   -
   The Mandora has seven unstopped basses as shown in the
   second section of tablature. It is to be assumed that the stopped
   courses of both instruments are tuned in the same way. It is not for a
   five course gytarra or a six course mandora as you seem to suggest.
   -
   [MH:  This is a mistaken view of what the source tells us since, as
    already pointed out, most of the pieces (some 85% of them) in the MS
   are for just a five course instrument. You have assumed that the part
   between the first set of double bar lines refers equally to the
   gytarra
   and to the mandora.
   As already explained, this is mistaken because the overwhelming bulk
    of  pieces in the MS are, in fact,  for a five course instrument (the
   gytarra) rather than for the common mandora tuning with six courses.
   I examine this matter again below]
   -
   I don't think either of these two examples refer to an instrument with
   just five stopped courses.
   -
   [ MH: as said above, you appear to have overlooked contrary
   information
   about the tablature already brought to your attention earlier.]
   -
   On Folio 96r there is a table of alfabeto chords and a tablature tuning
   chart headed "Accordo aliud" (?). If that is right I assume it means
   "another tuning" but my Latin or Czech is pretty basic. In the table of
   chords, the open courses to be included are only shown for Chord E;
   Chord is very odd â Indeed, as pointed out, they are wrong -  a B flat
   minor chord with G on the first course. There are stroke marks on the
   lowest line.
   -
   [MH: No - this is a simple bowlderisation and inaccurate
   representation
   of nominal five course guitar tuning (as employed in the following aria
    set in tablature AND with Alafbeto - see my earlier note about this
   feature in this particular piece which has been overlooked). Clearly
   the tuning diagram showing an octave between the open first and fifth
    fret on the third course makes no sense - neither does that between
   the
   third fret of the second course and the open third course! The scribe
   has simply got the courses wrong......
   It is the following aria (on f. 96v not on 96),  identified in my last,
   this
    piece clearly confirms this piece as being in the ordinary nominal
   guitar
   tuning intervals - and not any known lute (or mandora!) tuning. The
   mandora never employed Alfabeto as appears in this work
   -
   As far as the pieces are concerned, whether or not the unstopped sixth
   course is used seems to  depend on the key of the piece. Those on f.
   48v- f.59v which use the sixth course are mostly in C major or keys
   without sharps, whilst those from f. 60r âf.76v are in A major or D
   major  i.e. keys with sharps where there is no call for a low G
   natural.
   -
   [MH: Surely you can't expect us to agree to this procrustean
   interpreation?
   You singularly overlook thebulk of all the pieces also in C to F and
   those
   in G and  D from later in the MS.
   And I've already clearly identified where the same (Losy?) piece was
    tellingly transcribed - which surely disproves your suggestion: 'a
   single counter example ....disproves a proposition......!']
   -
   From f.76v the pieces are numbered starting with 1 which seems to
   represent a new "campaign" of copying. None of them use the unstopped G
   â they could be for 5-course guitar or whatever instrument you wish.
   There is nothing that lends weight to your suggestion that the gytarra
   is a figure of eight-shaped instrument. It is could be lute shaped or
   figure of eight - we simply don't know.
   -
   MH: See my earlier:
   Particularly relevant here is the Rondeau C. Loschi (Losy?) on 51V
   which employs the sixth course:  however, the same piece is again
   written out later in the collection (Rondon f.75) but, tellingly,
   without the sixth course (g) and with the errant  note simply
   replaced by the open third course. Precisely the same practice might
   have also been readily followed for the few earlier pieces (fol 48v to
   57)
   by a player with only a five course instrument. Finally, F 96 actually
   has a table for guitar Alfabeto  giving both the usual shorthand
   symbols
   and their tablature interpretation. This is followed (96v) by
   a piece in
    mixed notation employing both tablature and Alfabeto
   symbols (in fact,
   symbols B, F and G).  Whilst telling us nothing unambiguous about the
   instrument's shape, it is yet more weight to suggest a normal guitar
   shaped instrument of the period was expected for the Gytarra.
   Regarding the heading on 48v, this actually reads 'Accordo Gytarra
   et  Mandora' (ie tuning of gytarra AND mandora) - not Cytarra A
   Mandore (perhaps the pdf is a poor copy?).  This precise wording also
   clearly implies different instruments but both having the same basic
   tuning for five courses - otherwise it would have been 'Gytarra aliter
   Mandora', or similar, to show that two different words were in that
   case
   referring to one and the same instrument.
   I, of course, understand that this says nothing explicit about the
   shape of the gytarra (Just because something is called a "cytarra"
   doesn't
   mean that it is a figure of eight shaped insturment), but I think it
   highly
   unlikely to be lute shaped like the mandora - else why have the very
   similar
   two instruments at all - but with a wholly different name?
   Accordingly, I think, on the balance of probabilities, that the MS's
   gytarra was,
   indeed, probably shaped differently to the lute - and most likely as
   contemporary
   early eigteenth century guitar. Moreover, surely by the early
   eighteenth century
   there was no longer the earlier confusions over the renaissance
   gittern/guitar
   shape.  I therefore see no compelling reason to suggest that, by this
   later
   period, MS D-189 required  a gytarra that was not just an early
   eighteenth
   century gitarra/guitar shaped instrument.
   instrument.
     ................. We may simply have to agree to disagree over this.
   -
   [MH: Further, the numerous gytarra pieces in Cmajor later in the MS
   to those you mention in your reply could very easily be played with a
   low sixth course (as the {Losy?} example well demonstrates)if these
   later pieces were truly, as you suggest, also for a six course
   instrument.
   I think not - it is really stretching remote possibilities too far
   over
   probabilities to suggest otherwise.
   Simply overlooked is that the majority of pieces after F. 67 are in
   keys
   where low G is at least as helpful as for the works on in the
   following
   keys of G, F. Cand D - BUT the scribe writes the G at the upper
   octave:
   a distintive feature of the guitar, butnot not of the period
   mandora....., etc.
    Good practical examples include: the Echo on f68 where the penultimate
    bar would better with a low sixth course G - but the scribe writes a
   high
    third course, guitar appropriate g and numerous similar examples.
   -
   As far as I can see nothing in the manuscript sheds any light on
   the position of
   the high octave strings in the 18th century.
   -
   [MH: I disagree - see numerous highly relevant observations both in
    this, and earlier, notes]disagree- see numerous relevant observations
   above]
   -
   As far as I can recall I have never agreed that eighteenth-century
   placement
   of the octave strings might well not be the same as the earlier
   seventeenth
   century usage. On the contrary the fact that two mid-eighteenth century
   sources (Corette and Rousseau in Diderot's Encyclopedie)
   -
   MH: Both late for comparison withD-189 and further not guitar
   speciaists]
   -
   to the placement of the high octave strings on the thumb side of a
   course suggests to me that this practice persisted well into the
   eighteenth century whatever the style of the music.  Corette's music
   seems to be fairly standard Galant stuff.
   -
    MH Not comparable with the works in D189 or Diesel, et als it isn't
    or by the large madora reperoire of the early/mid eigteenth cenurt it
   aint]
   -
   Monica