Dear lute friends,

   Over the last months or so I tried playing nearly all pieces presented
   in the Burwell Lute Tutor book, after I identified (if possible),
   corrected and completed majority of these pieces. Today I have uploaded
   the MP3 versions of my home recordings of baroque lute pieces from the
   “Burwell Lute Tutor” to
   [1]https://soundcloud.com/user-731566193/sets/baroque-lute-pieces-from-
   the-burwell-lute-tutor-1670 as playlist of my Soundcloud channel
   "Viennalute A" ([2]https://soundcloud.com/user-731566193). Following
   pieces are included:

   Corante_Du-But_d-minor, Saraband-J-Gaultier_F-Major,
   LesTricotins_d-minor, Sarabande-de Madame Royale-Pinel,
   Courante-d-minor_ano, Sarabande-F-major-anonym,
   Saraband-Mortmar-d-minor, Corant-Mr-Gaultier-F-Major,
   Saraband-Mr-Vincent-g-minor, Sarabande-Mr-Gaultier-Paris-a-minor,
   Corant-MrPinel-C-Major, Preludeum_vieux-Gaultier-F-Major.

   A PDF copy of my own tablature compilation of all pieces is available
   on request.

   As you may know, the “Burwell Lute Tutor” is a manuscript tutor for the
   baroque lute. The manuscript is Miss Mary Burwell’s (born 1654) copy of
   a method written by an Englishman (the name Mr. John Rogers has been
   suggested) who claims was himself a pupil of the French Ennemond
   Gaultier. The teacher corrected Miss Burwell’s copy of the text and
   filled in the music examples. Both the ”Burwell Lute Tutor” and ”The
   Lute Made Easie” (by Thomas Mace, London, 1676) are two very authentic
   and surviving sources of its time teaching in great detail from A to Z
   how to play the baroque lute. For teaching practice, the manuscript
   contains examples of French-style lute pieces, mainly fragments and
   sometimes individual bars only. The music examples are chaotic, with
   both teacher and pupil contributing to mistakes Some of the pieces are
   known, and concordances exist in other lute manuscripts, other pieces
   are new and unique.

   However, the manuscript describes in great detail how the music is
   played on the baroque lute, when and how to use the left hand, the
   thumb and the first and second finger of the right hand, how to play
   big and the small chords, ornaments, etc. In many cases, each measure
   is individually analysed how to play and present it. Thus, the baroque
   lute pieces of the 17th century collection in the Burwell Lute Tutor
   exactly shows the repertoire of an amateur lute player (like me) of the
   second half of the 17th century, and what the pupil should be capable
   to play under the supervision of an experienced lute teacher. By no
   means I pretend to play the baroque lute as good as it should be
   played, however I try the best I can to observe all authentic
   instructions given by Mrs. Burwell's teacher, being a Vienna-based lute
   amateur more than 350 years later.

   I play all pieces on my gut strung 11-course Frei lute (string length
   is 67 cm, build by Mr. Renatus Lechner), which should be very close to
   Miss Mary Burwell’s instrument.

   My other lute channels are "Viennalute-1"
   ([3]https://soundcloud.com/user-32080944) and "Viennalute-2"
   ([4]https://soundcloud.com/user-731566193).

   Please stay healthy and resist Corona!

   Ernst Bernhard from Vienna.