With bcharge 0.7 I have trouble getting any USB mounting action; I
removed the RPMs and plugged in the device and it instantly mounted.
Something's fishy in bcharge 0.7, methinks.

Some var/log/messages output for the various attempts with bcharge
installed, each attempt nearly identical output. At no point did I
actually get a mounted sda1 as expected.

May  4 14:18:33 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 19
May  4 14:18:33 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: config index 0 descriptor
too short (expected 69, got 32)
May  4 14:18:33 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
May  4 14:18:33 boomstick kernel: scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass
Storage devices
May  4 14:18:34 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed
by usb-storage while 'bcharge' sets config #1
May  4 14:18:34 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: reset full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 19
May  4 14:18:34 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed
by usb-storage while 'bcharge' sets config #1
May  4 14:18:34 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 19
May  4 14:18:35 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device
using uhci_hcd and address 20
May  4 14:18:35 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: config 1 has 1 interface,
different from the descriptor's value: 2
May  4 14:18:35 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: config 1 interface 0
altsetting 0 has 2 endpoint descriptors, different from the interface
descriptor's value: 4
May  4 14:18:35 boomstick kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

However I do see something in my dmesg output during all this,
repeated each time in conjunction with the var/log/messages output;
it's slightly different on each attempt, but generally follows the
same pattern:

usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13
usb 3-1: config index 0 descriptor too short (expected 69, got 32)
usb-storage: device found at 13
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 3-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usb-storage while 'bcharge'
sets config #1
usb 3-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13
usb 3-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd bcharge rqt 192 rq 165 len 2 ret -71
usb 3-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd bcharge rqt 192 rq 165 len 2 ret -71
usb 3-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd bcharge rqt 64 rq 162 len 0 ret -71
usb 3-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd bcharge rqt 64 rq 162 len 0 ret -71
usb 3-1: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd bcharge rqt 192 rq 169 len 2 ret -71
usb 3-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usb-storage while 'bcharge'
sets config #1
usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 13

I tried various usb_storage removals and manual modprobes, letting it
happen automagically, etc. -- nothing I could come up with would let
me get at my sda interface though. Killing off the bcharge cycle with
the RPM removal allowed that sucker to pop right up and mount.

At home, I have the old patched bcharge from 0.6 running and it mounts
more or less normally, as expected.

Ideas?
-te

--
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme
of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.