On Wednesday 04 June 2008 3:57:42 pm Chris Frey wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 10:00:16AM -0500, William Bennett wrote:
> > First, let me say thanks for the great effort with the Barry project. (I
> > suppose I should also thank the OpenSync folks, too!) I have my BB
> > successfully communicating and synchronizing with Linux/KDE-PIM. All of
> > the following work wonderfully:
> >  - microSD card mounting
> >  - USB mass-storage mode file viewing and transferring
> >  - media management via Amarok
> >  - USB charging
> >  - synchronization of KDE-PIM calendar events
>
> Thanks for the success report!

I think I forgot to mention, I did try to run a sync of my Contacts. KDE-PIM
pulled all of my BlackBerry contacts in, but the sync failed after that. I
have no idea why. Interestingly, KDE-PIM did recognize the categories of the
few BB contacts to which I had assigned categories - but did not recognize
equivalent contacts in KDE-PIM (I ended up with duplicates).

Is it worthwhile at this point to keep playing around with contact
synchronizing, or should I wait until category-filter support is implemented?

> > The only issue I have regards synchronization of KDE-PIM contacts. The
> > synchronization is setup properly, and runs just fine. The issue is that
> > I have over 2,000 contacts in KDE-PIM, and don't want to synchronize all
> > of them to my BB.
> >
> > Does Barry currently (or are there plans for Barry in the future to)
> > support contact categories? I would love to be able to assign all of my
> > to-be-synchronized KDE-PIM contacts a "BlackBerry" category, and then
> > have Barry only sync such-categorized contacts.
>
> The category support currently in the plugin is more like tagging.
> The categories should appear in the Blackberry, and match what is
> in your desktop software.
>
> I looked at the opensync source code, and while there is a framework for
> filters, there doesn't appear to be any implementation.  Filters appears
> to be what you want, so you can filter out what records to sync.
> Unfortunately this is not supported in opensync 0.22, nor the msynctool
> command line interface that I have here.
>
> The framework is there, though, so in theory, it should be possible for
> someone to write the filter you need.  You might ask on the
> opensync-users's mailing list to see if anyone has already done that.

Thanks for the clarification. I've joined both the OpenSync-Users and -Dev
mail lists.

I've been searching the OpenSync email list archives. I did find this post
from 10 Jan 2008:
http://www.nabble.com/-patch--kdepim-sync-plugin-extension-td14730704.html

I think this is a patch for adding functionality to the existing framework?

I also took a look through the OpenSync 0.40 ToDo list:
http://www.opensync.org/wiki/TODO

It looks like filter support for msynctool was rejected, with the
justification being that filter support should be part of a GUI (I can't say
I understand that justification, since filters would presumably just be part
of a plugin's config file, right?).

It also looks like libopensync filter support implementation has been moved to
OpenSync > 0.40.

Is OpenSync-Users the better of the two mail lists for requesting
features/functionality such as contact filter support? Or should I request on
both Users and Dev (or would that be considered spamming)?

Let me know, and I'll make the request and then report back here (if there is
interest here in such a report).

> > Thanks again for a great tool, and please let me know how I can help. I'm
> > not much of a developer, but would be happy to help in other ways.
> >
> > On that note, I did write a how-to detailing my experience getting
> > everything set up to synchronize between my BlackBerry and KDE-PIM in
> > Kubuntu Hardy:
> >
> > http://www.chipbennett.net/wordpress/index.php/2008/05/synchronizing-a-bl
> >ackberry-in-linux/
>
> Thanks very much.  It's great to see howto's springing up on the net like
> that.
>
> > I know that anything I write will likely be very oriented toward
> > Kubuntu/KDE-PIM, but I'll be happy to keep the how-to updated if it will
> > be helpful to others.
>
> Please do.  The more up to date howto's that exist, the easier it will be
> for new users to Google for the help they need.

I'll do my best. I got some feedback from some ubuntuforums.org users, and
made some updates accordingly. I'll try to keep adding to it, and adding
similar how-tos, as it is probably the best way I can contribute.

> - Chris

Chip Bennett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.chipbennett.net