On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 11:40:53PM -0500, ashley willis wrote:
> you're welcome. i escaped the binary strings (without testing *all* my
> changes) as well as modified barrybkup to only attempt to tar
> directories with data. i also added a -p option to the relevant programs
> to select the device when more than one is installed, but i can't test
> it as i only have one device. i've tested barrybkup. comparing the new
> output to the old ouput, but i haven't tested the changes to the other
> programs (same changes, copy and paste, *should* work).

Thanks for these changes.  I took a quick look at the package, and noticed
that now the -p option is required, otherwise you end up with an empty
-p command line option, if I'm reading the code right.  The -p option
should only be added if the user specifies it.

> one odd thing i've noticed: the record type on *all* databases is
> usually 08 00, but sometimes they are *all* 07 00 (while in your file
> bb_task_format.txt you list 09 00). any idea what this is about?

The "rec type" in bb_task_format.txt is mis-named.  That is actually
what I call the socket number, and can change at the whim of the device.
It is usually consistent, but the device tells btool what number to use,
so it could change for some reason internal to the device.

The socket number is merely part of the communications protocol, and
should not be saved in the backup.

The bb_task_format.txt file was a patch sent before tasks parsing was
supported, as I recall, and it is probably out of date.  The best place
to find the format of task records would be in the r_task.h and r_task.cc
files.  (sorry, it's code, not english) :-)

I took another look at btool's DataDumpParser, and it dumps the whole
response packet to stdout, instead of just the data portion.
This probably makes the work harder for you, when the offset
to the actual data is sitting right there in the ParseFields() arguments.

It wouldn't be hard to display the offset too, but I suspect that would
break your script.

- Chris