On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 05:17:45PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:

> If updating Ubuntu doesn't work for you, the other thing you might try
> is upgrading the firmware on your Blackberry.  You'll need a Windows
> system for this, but sometimes people have found that their strange
> Blackberry problems go away after a device firmware update.
>
> That's all I can think of at the moment.

This is a quick update. I have not had a chance to get on a windows
machine (very, very busy right now). But ... this weekend I was
playing with a friends music player, a Sansa Clip, and had similar
issues. It just was not recognized. Googling on that I found a
suggestion to remove one of the USB modules, which worked great for
the music player (a great little one for Linux):

 sudo rmmod ehci_hcd

Now:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0fca:0001 Research In Motion, Ltd. Blackberry Handheld
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ btool -l
Blackberry devices found:
Device ID: 0x80987b0. PIN: 318314df, Description: RIM 8700 Series Colour CDMA
Handheld

I don't have any fulltime usb devices, so rmmoding that I don't think
is an issue for me.

I haven't had a chance to try anything else, but wanted to post that
in case anybody with Ubuntu8.04 was having a similar issue. This is
something they can try.

Thanks.

--
Hal Burgiss