On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 08:08:06AM +0100, TKL-Soft Vertrieb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to accelerate the correction progress of the
> international charsets bug?

[snip]

> Because this is a frustrating (but small?) bug making barry impossible
> to use seriously for a lot of people in the world, imho you should place
> this bugfix on top of your roadmap.
>
> We are willing to spend 100 ? to the first one who corrected that bug
> till the end of 2008.
> Maybe 100 ? is not very much but due to the fact that this is a serious
> bug which should be corrected anyway this money is intended as a small
> incentive.

I'll gladly accept a patch from anyone who wants to fix this in Barry.
I may be able to take a look at it later this week, but if someone wants
to make a go for the reward, speak up on the list, and dive right in. :-)

For those interested in tackling this bug, there are notes in the TODO file:

http://repo.or.cz/w/barry.git?a=blob;f=TODO;h=d9c1e35143764503dabc0ba5550140b7483360ef;hb=6da41ec99623f2c5993d7441bf7593885b59e5d2

Quoted:

        Fix i18n bug in current 0.22 opensync plugin
        For some reason, contacts with international characters in the names
        do not come through properly during the sync.  The names are truncated
        at the character.

        It appears consistent that the Blackberry uses the CP1252 charset,
        a.k.a. WINDOWS-1252, which is like ISO-8859-1, except that characters
        0x80 to 0x9F are used as characters instead of escape codes.

        This knowledge needs to be passed on to opensync in the data format.
        This may be as simple as adding a proper charset field to the vCard
        data, but it definitely needs testing and a patch.

        See this mailing list thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20080418033504.GA12750%40foursquare.net

        Estimated time: a few dedicated hours in the best case

- Chris