We have described a strategy for normalization of aCGH data and have
implemented a plugin for BASE.

The method is described in a paper published in BMC Genomics
"Normalization of array-CGH data: influence of copy number imbalances"
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/8/382 (PMID: 17953745)

The software implementation is available at the BASE plug-ins web site.

BACKGROUND: High-resolution microarray-based comparative genomic
hybridization (CGH) techniques have successfully been applied to study copy
number imbalances in a number of settings such as the analysis of cancer
genomes. For normalization of array-CGH data, methods initially developed
for gene expression microarray analysis have, in general, been directly
adopted and used. However, these methods are designed to work under
assumptions that may not be valid for array-CGH data when copy number
imbalances are present. We therefore sought to investigate the effect on
normalization imposed by copy number imbalances. RESULTS: Here we
demonstrate that copy number imbalances correlate with intensity in
array-CGH data thereby causing problems for conventional normalization
methods. We propose a strategy to circumvent these problems by taking copy
number imbalances into account during normalization, and we test the
proposed strategy using several data sets from the analysis of cancer
genomes. In addition, we show how the strategy can be applied to
conveniently define adaptive sample-specific boundaries between balanced
copy number, losses, and gains to facilitate management of variation in
tissue heterogeneity when calling copy number changes. CONCLUSIONS: We
highlight the importance of considering copy number imbalances during
normalization of array-CGH data, and show how failure to do so can
deleteriously affect data and hamper interpretation.

Regards,
Johan

--Johan Vallon-Christersson, PhD-------------
SCIBLU Genomics