On 2010-11-24 15:10, Olivier Lefevre wrote:
>> I guess we really should change the compilation
>> to use '-target 1.6'
>
> Or simply omit it. In general I can think of few scenarios
> where you'd want to target an older VM than the one you are
> working with (one reason might be compiler fixes that were
> not back-ported): that invites the sort of errors the OP
> ran into, unless the developer is extremely careful not to
> use any of the newer functionality.

I investigated the history of this a bit further and the story is like this:

BASE 2.5 only worked with java 1.5 but not with 1.6 due to some issues
with webservices. We were developing with 1.5.

We started to use java 1.6 for development during BASE 2.6 but still
wanted to keep support for java 1.5 since no Mac version of 1.6 existed
(we had two developers using Mac). This is when the "target 1.5" was
added to the build.

BASE 2.7 dropped official support for java 1.5 but nobody though of
changing the target attribute. I have done this today so it will be
fixed in the next BASE release.

/Nicklas