On 2013-09-11 10:57, Laurent Troxler wrote:
> going through the log files here is what I can get:
> system.log: repeating those two lines
> Sep 11 10:32:00 seridi java[85937]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @
> CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
> Sep 11 10:32:02 seridi com.apple.launchd[1] (org.apache.tomcat):
> Throttling respawn: Will start in 8 seconds
>
> /Library/Tomcat/logs/catalina.2013-09-11.log :
> Sep 11, 2013 10:52:05 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
> initClassLoaders
> SEVERE: Class loader creation threw exception
> java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to window server - not enough
> permissions.

It seems like the tomcat process cannot connect to the window server. I
have noticed that when I start (or stop) tomcat on my MacBook there is
some interaction with the window server on my mac (i.e., the finder
process). I have no idea why this happens but I think it is java that
tries to connect to the window server.

Are you sitting directly in the machine you try to run tomcat on? If you
ssh into the machine you may be unable to connect to the window server
since you must own the window server process. Try to log in directly to
the mac server and start the services from a terminal. You may see some
windows flash by during the start up phase. This experiment would be
interesting. On my machine I allow Remote login (under the Sharing pane
in System preferences) ... maybe that option resolves something.

Can you connect to the tomcat server at all? As Nicklas points out, try
connecting to http://hostname:8080 and you should see a Tomcat welcome
page. Also, the tomcat server user should own the work directory
hierarchy. On my machine this user is 'www'.

I have a running BASE 3.2.3 server with Tomcat 6.0.35 and PostgreSQL
9.3.0. Non-Apple software I almost always install Macports packages
(tomcat and Postgresql). I run on Mac OSX 10.7.5 non-server version.

I think your issues are symptoms of a tomcat/java/mac window server clash.

Cheers,

Jari