Ok, good news about db:create. My use case is in the context a web app . I
have been using the following, somewhat lazy, approach to installation:
If the database does not exist then use the client module,connecting to
itself, to create it and load it from a folder containing "starter"
content.

CREATE DATABASE coll /path/to/input

This abuse of the client module seems to be blocked now :-), However the
db:create(), as was, in 7.4 seemed only to be able to create an empty db.