Hi Peter,
sorry I did not manage to answer you earlier :-)

As a quick hint, could you please try the following:
* put your query file into the filesystem as described in
http://docs.basex.org/wiki/REST
* Please note, that in 7.3 the variable WEBPATH has been called HTTPPATH (I
hope this does not add to the confusion ;-))

Apart from that, I can only encourage you to have a look at RestXQ as it is
most flexible in my opinion for running XQuery server-side and empowering not
only rest service but interactive website as well.
=> http://docs.basex.org/wiki/RESTXQ

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards
Michael