I found that it is locking up because of the database global
lock<http://docs.basex.org/wiki/Options#GLOBALLOCK> which
locks during any updating function. On the long updating call that was
happening first, it was grabbing the lock and so every subsequent request
was being blocked until the update had finished. I think the solution for
us is to turn it off since we're never updating any content in place, only
adding content, and that content is static so it doesn't matter if two
requests clobber the data.