Hi Moshe,

sorry for providing you with no answer. As you may already have
guessed, there is currently no out-of-the-box solution for your use
case. One usual (yet more heavy-weight) approach to do versioning with
BaseX is to simply store multiple versions of a document. The document
timestamps can e. g. be attached to the file name or kept track in an
additional database or document. This is pretty straightforward if
XQuery is used for the application logic, but it surely results in
some overhead compared to existing version control systems.

Another note, and a sorry to our Java 6 users: With BaseX 8.0, we’ll
move on to Java 7, as it provides much better support for different
files systems, correctly resolves symbolic links, adopts existing file
permissions when copying files, etc. Java 7 also comes with a file
watcher [1], which could be used to keep files in a database
up-to-date. A synchronization service could be built on top of that,
and could either be integrated within BaseX or offered as an external
service. Before integrating such a service into the core architecture,
we’ll of course need to find answers for various concurrency issues,
such as how to resolve conflicts (what is going to happen if a file
has been changed both in the file system and in the database?).

Hope this helps,
Christian

[1] http://codingjunkie.net/java-7-watchservice/