I see… Instead of immediately executing the query, you are only
interested in parsing errors, right?

Sounds reasonable. We could have some more thoughts on how the output
of such a function (e.g. xquery:parse) could look like. Instead of
returning an error, we could return an element that contains the
information that would otherwise be bound to the error variables in a
try/catch statement [1]:

  <error>
    <code>err:XPTY0004</code>
    <description>...</description>
  </error>

Some other information could be returned if parsing was successful. –
You are invited to add some more ideas in the corresponding GitHub
issue [2].

Christian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-31/#id-try-catch
[2] https://github.com/BaseXdb/basex/issues/1028