The change is not a problem for me, but I am not a security expert ;-)
However if it stays then I guess it means the -U and -P options to
basexhttp are being silently ignored.

I think something like the existdb approach would be more what I would
expect.
The ability to config a default http user with reduced permissions, and
then a way to change the user associated with the session
e.g. session:set-current-user
http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/fundocs/view.html?uri=http://exist-db.org/xquery/session&location=java:org.exist.xquery.functions.session.SessionModule&details=true

/Andy