I think it is the handling of nested comments:

let $a:='
(:~
 :)
declare function local:foo(){42};local:foo()
 '
return inspect:xqdoc($a)

Result:
 <xqdoc:description>&lt;/code&gt; MIDDLE &lt;code&gt;</xqdoc:description>

may be confusing [1] indeed.
/Andy
[1]
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEPEK_11.0.0/com.ibm.db2z11.doc.xml/src/tpc/db2z_commentxpxq.dita