Thanks for the reply, Christian.

I want to create the databases on Linux, and then multiple users need to access
the database directory. The other users are generally on Windows. You're
correct, I'm not using the client/server architecture. (I haven't looked into
it. If you think it's what I really should be doing, I can start to look at it.)

If it's a Linux thing, not specific to BaseX, then maybe that is good news for
me. I'll see what I can find about default permissions on Linux.

Cheers,
Amanda