Hi Eliot,

> Looks like this version addresses the issue I had
> (creating volumes in the base container made it impossible to add repos or
> webapps in using Dockerfiles).

that's also one of the issues the earlier Dockerfile of Dirk and Michael
had -- and I also had issues with that when I started with Docker. It's
somewhat counter-intuitive that you have to `EXPOSE` ports to publish
them, but not define `VOLUME`s to bind them.

Defining a volume in a Dockerfile results in a bind-mount of a new,
empty folder (if not defined otherwise through `--volume[-from]`) during
container instanciation. So you can very well add files into the image
-- but they're hidden by that bind mount in the running container.

Regards,
Jens

--
Jens Erat