Hi BaseX-Team,

when profiling some of our tests i found that we spend some time in
Reflect.forName().

We have 2 xquery modules in the repo (we don't call java code directly).

I'm not sure why BaseX tries to load our xqm as Java Modules, but what I
noticed is that Reflect.forName caches the positive case (i.e., the class is
found), but not the negative case (i.e., the class is not found).

I've changed the code to cache the negative case as well (see below), and
noticed an improvement of about 5 percent.

Our tests create and query loads of small databases, so this is maybe quite an
artificial speedup.

I could provide a PR if this is a worthwhile improvement in your opinion (and
if I'm not missing something obvious).

We're still on BaseX 8.7.6 in case that matters, as far as I could see the Code
didn't change in BaseX 9.

Thanks,

Tom

Code:

public static Class<?> forName(final String name) throws ClassNotFoundException
{
    Class<?> c = CLASSES.get(name);

    if(c == null) {
      if (CLASSES.containsKey(name)) {
        throw new ClassNotFoundException(name);
      } else {
        try {
          c = Class.forName(name);
        } catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
          CLASSES.put(name, null);
          throw e;
        }
        if (!Modifier.isPublic(c.getModifiers())) throw new
ClassNotFoundException(name);
        CLASSES.put(name, c);
      }
    }