This is FUN indeed. Thanks Christian!
Since I consider it a central feature when using Xerces 1.1 validation (it is
one out of four controlled Xerces validation features in Oxygen options, too),
you may consider adding it explicitly to the Wiki example:

        validate:xsd($doc,$schema,map {
'http://apache.org/xml/features/validation/cta-full-xpath-checking': true() })

Without the feature, you are limited to XPath 1.0 in your assertions.

Daniel